Thursday, February 22, 2018

Memories Drifting In and Out of My Mind

"Memories" Scene

By Zane Wetzel

The scene that I'm choosing to write about would take place in the story map "Memories" created by my classmates Brittany Downs and Veronica White. More specifically, it would be a scene that would take place in the Patient Hall, before Door 3. I chose this scene in particular because I was interested in the cutscene that would be shown once the player entered the room.

 If this were to take place inside the confines of a video game, I would have the room locked from the outside, forcing the player to have to try and pick the lock open. Once prompted to attempt the lockpick, a minigame puzzle will appear showing a side cutout of the doorknob and the locks in place, with a bobby pin reshapen into a key being used to get the lock open. The player must then use the controller to carefully move the bobby pin inside the doorknob so that it moves the tumblers in order to open it within a limited amount of time. If the player fails to move the pin into place with the allotted amount of time or the pin breaks, then they will be forced to start all over again (gameplay mechanics provide them with unlimited number of bobby pins, so they won't need to worry about that).

Once the player gets inside the room, they would be rewarded by the following cutscene/flashback from the time when the hospital was still operating:

The scene that transitions to a flashback to the time when the hosptial was still operating and you were a doctor working there. You are looking over the bed as a patient lays in a critical condition as a bunch of other doctors and nurses are scrambling to stabilize her as the heart monitor goes "beep-beep-beep"

Patient: It's already too late for me, isn't it? I can already feel myself dying.
Nurse: No, no, you're gonna be fine. We are doing everything we can to help you, you're gonna be fine
Patient: I know you are lying to me. I know that I am already going to die! (the heart monitor continues to beat faster.
Doctor #2: We're losing her!
Doctor #3: Vitals are dropping 
(other NPC's shout medical terms that you can't quite understand. The Patient then turns to meet your gaze).
Patient: This is all your fault. You said that you were going to help me get better, but you were lying to me. (she then points her index finger accusingly at you) You killed me, you killed me, YOU KILLED ME! (with that final accusation, her hand falls as she begins to flatline while the other doctors and nurses scramble to save her as the flashback ends).

The reason why I chose this is because I thought the challenge of having to get inside of the room would be stimulating enough for the players to attempt to complete it, while I thought the cutscene would help shed a little more light on the protagonist's backstory.

No comments:

Post a Comment